VitaFast® Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
Art. No.: P1002
The VitaFast® Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) microtiter plate test is a microbiological method for the quantitative determination of total vitamin B12 (added and natural vitamin B12) in food and in pharmaceutical products. The microbiological test system is in accordance with international norms.
Vitamin B12 is extracted from a homogenized sample and the extract is diluted. The diluted extract and standards are applied to the wells of a microtiter plate coated with Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis (leichmannii). The growth of the bacteria is dependent on the vitamin content of the sample or standard. Lactobacillus delbrueckii belongs to the lactic acid bacteria and has an absolute growth requirement for the vitamin B12. Thus, this organism is ideal for quantification of vitamin B12 in food and dietary supplements. As a group, the lactic acid bacteria are good candidates for vitamin analysis due to their genetic stability (resistance to undergo mutation), simple metabolic requirements, ease of maintenance and general safety as a nonpathogenic organism.
- External Certificate AOAC-RI 101002.
- The test system is very robust and well suited for routine analysis.
- The VitaFast® test kits feature uniform procedures across the product line.
|Test format||Microtiter plate with 96 wells (12 strips with 8 removable wells each)|
|Sample preparation||'- Liquid samples (added vitamin B12): sterile filtration and dilution.|
- Solid samples (added vitamin B12): sample homogenization, extraction, centrifugation and dilution.
- Liquid and solid samples (added and native vitamin B12): sample homogenization, treatment with 1 % NaCN, enzymatic treatment, extraction, centrifugation and dilution.
|Incubation time||44 - 48 h in the dark at 37 °C (98.6 °F)|
|LOD (Detection Limit)||0.021 µg / 100 g (ml)|
|LOQ (Limit of quantification|
0.03 µg / 100 g (ml)
Multivitamin juice, fitness drink, fruit gums, candies, pills, capsules, vitamin mixes, cereals, baby food, flour, milk products.
Vitamin B12 concentration
|Evaluation||Microtiter plate photometer 610-630 nm (alternativ 540-550 nm)|